Monday, August 07, 2006

Top of the North Bay


Mt.Tam to SF
Looking back towards San Francisco from the top of Mt. Tamalpais. You can just make out the city in the center of the horizon line.


Last year when I still thought that super long runs were the best thing for endurance training and racing, I would run/hike to the top of this mountain at least once a month during the spring and summer months. I would complete 50, 60, 70 mile training runs every 4 weeks. I would add additional routes as needed but a trip to the top was always part of the plan. All that changed this year, THANK YOU OLGA! She advised me to do shorter, more intense and more frequent long runs. My times have improved and I'm less tired overall - extra spring in my step. However I do miss running to this place, looking at the views, seeing San Francisco, paying my respects to Mt. Diablo in the East Bay and being excited/tired for the long journey back. Mt. Tam is not all that tall at a mere 2,500 feet but it's the hills that you have to journey through before you get to the top and more of the same just to get back. Nowadays I'm only here on my bike.

Maybe in the fall...a nice long run to the top my favorite mountain in Marin,...well the only mountain in Marin.

No comments:

Post a Comment