Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Season 2010

It's already March so I figured it was time to put an event schedule up. I call it an event schedule because I included the races I 'm planning to volunteer, crew and pace at. When I first started blogging in 06 it was a lot of fun planning and putting up a schedule and because it was such a public declaration it gave me extra motivation to follow through. These last couple of years however I've been less enthusiastic about creating "the big schedule". Still it's good to have some kind of plan and these days ultras have become more popular - have to commit early to some races.

So here is the event schedule, it's a work in progress. One of these events would have made my year back when I started running. Kind of crazy to think about it now.

RACES
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Way Too Cool 50k
March 13, 2010
Never been, looking forward to it. Another popular race, entry by lottery only. Excitement over this event has really jump started my training in January. Am I cool enough? The race happens in Cool, CA, there really is a place called "Cool".

Race Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Skyline to the Sea 50k
April 18, 2010
Another great edition for the race. Had a very solid run, something I've been proud of.

Race Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Miwok 100k
May 1, 2010
Tough day but managed to PR by 8 minutes. I was hoping for more but I'll take it.

Report 1
Report 2
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

San Diego 100-Mile
June 12-13, 2010

Finished in 23:23:29 for 16th overall. Never felt in sync for the entire run and was surprised by the difficulty of the new course. Again two thumbs up for the RD Scott Mills, his staff, the volunteers, the new race headquarters and the new course. Amazing time.

Race Report

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Pine to Palm 100-Mile
September 18-19, 2010

Whoa, tough long climbs, equally tough long downhills, lots of road and fire road and a whole lot of rain, wind and fog. It was nice again though when the race ended on Sunday - @#?&©! Hope the race stays unlike "Hundred in the Hood" that was run only once. Always seemed wrong that Oregon didn't have a 100-mile ultra. Another tough day at a 100-mile race. Felt better than I did at San Diego but like San Diego I was slower than I felt I was capable of. Lots to think about training wise for next year.

Write ups here, here, and here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Boggs Mountain Trail Races
October 30, 2010

RD's graciously offered me a spot after helping them out with their logo and marketing materials. It was cool with a bit of rain but the trails were gorgeous and the course not too hilly. I got lost early but ended up running the rest of the race with a good friend. A good training race and I enjoyed all the miles.

Race Report

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

PCTR Muir Beach
November 07, 2010

Ran the 33km race. It rained all night, the morning of and during the race. The trails were the worst I've seen mud wise. Ran hard and was rewarded by a great run. Got lost again! Ran an extra mile or so with the company of two good trail friends but we all managed to sneak into the top 10 anyway. It was a short list, so folks opted to stay home I guess. I don't blame them. Great birthday run and good training for the Quad Dipsea.

Race Report

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

PCTR Stinson Beach
November 13, 2010

Buoyed by my performance at the shorter distance the week before I entered the 25km race of this event. Great weather this time and a whole lot of racers. I was excited knowing many friends were going to be there. Ran hard from the get go, it's only 15 miles! Warmed up quick and the hammer stayed down until the finish. Ran a 1:30:16 for 7th then spent the rest of the day hanging out with folks. A great confidence booster for the upcoming Quad Dipsea. Loving the sub-50km races.

Race Report

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quad Dipsea
November 26, 2010

Ran a 5:09:17 for 18th place. It was wet, slick, muddy and awesome. I expected a 5:30 so I was more than happy with the 5:09 which is my second fastest time on the race. After a slow start I felt great all day. I was bombing all my downhills and having a great time. Wore my new Adidas Adizero Trail XT's and now a believer. Loving the lighter trail shoe with aggressive treads. Opens up a new genre of trail shoes for me to explore in the future; La Sportiva Crosslites, New Balance MT 101, Inov8, Montrail Mountain Masochist, etc.

Race Report

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

VOLUNTEER, CREW OR PACE
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Umstead 100-Mile
March 27, 2010
I met Tony for the first time at Javelina 08, crewing and pacing him at that race. Since then I've crewed and paced for him at Rocky Raccoon 100-mile and again at Javelina. We will be reunited again at Umstead this year along with our good friend Bob Gentile.

Crewing and Pacing Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

American River 50-Mile
April 10, 2010
Crewed and paced for Kara Teklinski who was attempting her first 50-mile race. I've only run American River once, back in 04. Dana Katz was also running her first 50-mile race and we had a ourselves a little trail running party in Sacramento.

Crewing and Pacing Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Crewing and Pacing at the Quicksilver 50-Mile
May 8, 2010
Crewed and paced for Larissa Polischuk. Awesome day and she did great placing 2nd female.

Crewing and Pacing Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Volunteering at PCTR's Redwood Park 50k
May 9, 2010
Quicksilver was nice and sunny but at Redwood Park it was rain! Made for a challenging but fun time.

Volunteer Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Javelina Jundred
October 23-24, 2010

Another great time at Javelina. I enjoy visiting this event. Getting bigger, with 300 runners this year. Another course PR for Tony and this time a sub-23 hour finish.

Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Northface Endurance Challenge
December 4-5th, 2010

Incredible field for the men's 50-mile race. Came to crew and pace my buddy Larissa Polischuk. It was another wet and dreary day but great for running and it didn't rain all that much. Those trails were nice and muddy though. LP did great, improving her time by 30 minutes from last year's race.

Crewing and Pacing Report
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

12 comments:

  1. you're doing Cool 50k?! i didn't know that - yahoooo! i'll be there! way, WAY behind. so save me a beer at the finish, eh? like you did at Ohlone? :) and LEADVILLE. wow - that's awesome, Rick. WOW! love your schedule - must live vicariously until i can commit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. It is nice that ultrarunners on that side of the planet can actually plan and join races way in advance.

    Speaking of races, BDM 102 (happening in a few days) is one simmering race. The weather is unusually hot...terribly hot.

    Hey, good luck on your Way Too Cool 50K race. Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet schedule...I am really psyched to see how well you do at Leadville. See you in a few weeks my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leadville!! Sweeeet, dude. I'm totally jealous. I'm sure you'll explain your altitude plan at some point, right?

    I might see you at Firetrails, and at TRT if you're a pacer there - I'm pacing as well. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! Excited about Leadville for ya. I'll probably see you at several of these events as I'm pacing at SD100 (and maybe Miwok) and considering races like Headlands 50 and SF one day.

    Hope to see a string of big PRs for ya this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list, Rick. I'll definitely be out there with you at Miwok and Firetrails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a schedule! Good luck this year, Rick, and I hope you achieve your goals. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice schedule. We will be crossing paths a few times this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice list! Someday I'll make it down there for firetrails!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys are going to have so much fun at Umstead!! --->Jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's a wish list and a half!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:50 AM

    Hello Sir Rick my name is franklin echevarria, im from Bacolod City, your blogsite was given to me by Bambi Borromeo yesterday, when we met here at SM for a meeting he told me that your also a negresense who is really into the passion of endurance sports, Its nice to see and appreciate the places youve gone and raced...Its been a pleasure visiting your blog site..

    Madamo gd nga salamat
    franklin

    ReplyDelete