Sunday, February 19, 2006

Scratching the Social Interaction Itch


2_19_06_Kentfield Run
After run stretch


These Sunday trail runs have become a great outlet for social interaction, something that has been missing in my schedule so far this year. I spend far too much time alone. I work at home 9-6, most of my workouts are done solo, so by the end of the week I'm just dying to get out and interact with people. Running is great because you can actually talk. You can't really talk in an indoor spin class and it's not advisable in group bike rides.

Today's run was a flat 5.6 miler with an option for some hill work for those that wanted it. JP and I actually got there an hour before and ran 45 minutes on the course before heading back to meet the group. It was another good turnout, we had about 16-17 people. I was worried that not a lot of people were going to show up because of the threat of rain and the colder than usual temperatures. There was also a cycling time trial in San Francisco that featured top domestic and international riders, definitely a big draw. Well it never did rain and towards the end of the run the sun even came out. Afterwards ten of us went out to lunch. Like last week I got to meet more people from the club and had a great time. Without any YMCA commitments this year I can put more time in my triathlon club.

I've also decided to join the track workouts a month early. I've never done them, ever. I heard they're a good workout and a lot of fun. I plan to join the group in March. The Thursday night Spin classes have been a blessing so far and a butt kicker, not talking though, work! work! work! get those heart rates up! Sadly Church has for the moment ceased to be a real factor in my social life but that's a topic for another day.

Here's to making more friends for 2006.

1 comment:

  1. To making more friends and keeping ol' ones!

    ReplyDelete