Saturday, April 15, 2006

Home on a Saturday

So there was a great south bay(Los Altos, towads San Jose) bike ride planned for this morning. Put together by some folks at the Tri-Club who were tired of riding the northern hills (Marin) and like me had very little to no experience riding in the east (Oakland and Contra Costa County). It was good timing because I had just gotten a new wheelset for my bike and so far this year have only gone on one outdoor ride. I even talked Jason into coming. I was up at 6:30AM, you guys who know me know this is a small miracle, and Jason was at my apartment by 7:20, half an hour later I was back in my apartment, on the computer doing work. So what happened?

Well you see I'm not savy mechanically and that goes for my bikes. I mean I could be but never had the experience, tools, time, etc, etc. I'm good at manual, working with your hands kind of stuff but this is one area I have very little experience or knowledge with. Believe me if I had the space I would have a workshop, not just for fixing and maintaining things but also for creating stuff (art). Anyway I spent the better part of my afternoon and evening yesterday working on the bike and setting up the new wheels, and in the end I forgot one major component which made riding the bike next to impossible. Thank God for Jason for his expertise in the matter. You should have seen his face when I told him what I did. I'm such a dumbass! No I won't tell you what I did. If you're not into bikes you won't care and if you were, well you'll just shake your head. I am proof that you can do triathlons, even an Ironman and know very little about your bike. Let me put it this way, my guys at the bike shop know me well.

Anyway so I just worked the morning away. Might as well since I was up and had roughly 8 hours of work to do before Monday. Jason called me an hour later and said he turned back because it was pouring rain. Paraphrasing his words, "I'm a runner now not a biker, I ain't going out in that". Jason used to be the bike director for our club. Anyway J.P. and those guys probably waited the rain out and took their chances. I don't see those guys backing down.

Stephen I hear you man, I'm also sick of running in the rain. I'm going to fix my bike and maybe I'll run if it's not raining.

1 comment:

  1. And that's why I don't bike:)
    Tell Mr. Runner to take good care of you, so you don't break your presious running legs on a bike:)

    ReplyDelete