Thursday, April 20, 2006

Baptism in the Elements


4-12-06_Baptism
Into the cold!


I don't know of another church that does Baptisms like we do. It's held once a year, always on Easter, always cold and gloomy, always at Ocean Beach on the Pacific coast, always around 6PM after our church service. These last two years the weather has been especially bad, although this year was not as bad as the previous one. Last year's ceremony made this past Sunday look like a picnic. We had a strong wind that drove the rain and sand sideways across the beach. Check out these photos from last year, 2005 Baptism.

But you know as my friend Guy pointed out, it's all the more inspiring when the weather is especially bad because people still come out and it shows the strength and love of the community. We were missing some good folks, Easter plans with family, but a good number braved the weather again.

I go every year because it helps me re-live my own baptism 5 years ago, wow has it been that long. I was baptized as a child in the Catholic church but I choose to redo the ceremony. It wasn't out of disrespect for my Catholic upbringing. I just wanted, this time around, to be a willing, cognizant participant in my own Baptism.

Anyway another great Baptism, no singing or building a fire because of the weather but a lot of fun nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment