Saturday, January 20, 2007

To Pacifica

Already I have an unscheduled race stop. On to the Pacifica 50k. No I'm not doing the 50k, I meant what I said about backing down on my mileage this weekend. I will be running with a friend on the 9k option. Seriously the 9k. My friend Alyssa is joining a bunch of her friends for a birthday celebration that starts off with this 9k run, they all enjoy running although Alyssa has never done a trail run. Pretty cool huh, celebrating your birthday with a run with friends, sweet. The birthday boy's friends will be running with white headbands with his name on it. Anyway Alyssa is a swimmer and insists that she's not a cyclist or a runner despite having to do all three to complete triathlons. I can relate since I don't consider myself a swimmer despite having to practice swimming to achieve the same. Anyway we were out last night, catching up and all that. I hadn't seen her since the club party back in November. I was giving her advice on the trail running stuff, just the basics you know, when she suggested that I just come along instead. So now I'm going.

If it was later in the season, when my body was better prepared, this 9k would be a great opportunity to do a fast all out run. Unfortunately my speed and my hill climbing ain't there yet. So I decided to just pace my friend, enjoy the scenery. Besides I get to see Wendell and Sarah. I'm moving up in this race. Last year I was a volunteer, satisfying my volunteer hours for Western States, today I'm actually taking part. I already recognize some of the names on the 50k entrant list. It will be a bummer not to join them this time but the year is just getting started.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds Fun Rick ...Have a great Time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the "I'm not a runner" all the time from my husband who just so happens to win age group awards at running events *and* is training for a 50 miler this year too.

    I hope you enjoyed the 9K. I agree, its a great way to celebrate a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you liked the short version:) How did Alysaa like it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Squirrel, it was good meeting you too. You must be pretty fast to hang right behind that kid. I would have liked to have seen that.

    Olga she loved it. I was in the back hanging with her and her friend Melissa. Hanging with the ladies:) Good day to be out but still too soon for a 50k for me. 12 year old kid won the 9k. Squirrel chased but couldn't catch him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah so you did have your chance in the end, I missed that part. Yeah what a future if he can stay true to the sport.

    Congratulations on the course record. Good conditions. Just enough mud to make it fun but no rain, good temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must have been interesting to run a 9k trail run. You must have been confused when you got to the finish and you didn't have to go at least another 41k.

    ReplyDelete