Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thunder in the Sky

Blue Angels are in town and they are out practicing for Fleet Week. Brutal:) They fly low and over downtown, scaring the crap out of a lot of people. It's the noise, sometimes it comes out of nowhere even though you know they are out there. I had to run an errand to the post office and the bank. As I was leaving the post office I almost jumped out of my skin when a loud thunder came out of nowhere - real close! Can't be much fun to the anti-war protesters downtown.

I actually have a special place in my heart for our military. I spent time growing up with them in Honolulu. I went to a high school that was primarily made up of military dependents from three bases; Pearl Harbor, Hickam Air Force Base and Crater Marine Base. Every year we would lose and gain new students. My stepdad himself is a 23yr veteran of the Navy. So even I got to enjoy a part of the military life; hanging out at the bases, shopping at the commisaries and getting stitched up at the Army hospital. In fact my freshman year in high school, I was part of the Hickam Air Force Base waterskiing team. I wasn't very good but I was light enough to be one of the climbers when they did those pyramids. You've seen them, skiers on the shoulders of other skiers waving to the crowd...that thing. Eventually I quit in lieu of high school sports, besides the 6AM Saturday morning practices were killing me. Ah I could go on and on.

Anyway those guys are flying low and loud. I'd snap a picture if I thought my camera was fast enough to capture them over the rooftops.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:06 PM

    You might be surprised by what your camera can catch. Some movies I took from my roof last October. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in military village - my Dad was in a airforce for over 40 years before he retired. Those things flying over give home-feelings:)

    ReplyDelete