Saturday, November 22, 2008

Still Kickin' My Butt...

After all this time. This fine Saturday morning, cool, sunny and no wind, I had the pleasure of running with my friend Stephen Goldmann and "Little Goldmann". Despite living in the same city and having the same passion for running, I haven't spent time with Stephen in a very long time. I know it's long because the last time I saw him "little man" was not walking yet and now he's 19 months old. Crazy how time flies, crazier how we let a lot of time pass before catching up with good friends.

The first time I used a pacer it was Stephen who paced me and the race was the Miwok 100k in 2006. Towards the end of the race when I was exhausted, whining and being chased by a yelling Georgia Gibbon "rickeeee I see you!", Stephen took control of the situation and gave me the tough love I needed. Tired with my deteriorating pace he said, "I'm going to run in front of you and you follow". At one point he was as much as 15 yards in front of me but I followed. He made me cut down on my walk breaks the animal. Donald, Anthony, you can thank Stephen for my pacing style. It's not for everyone, works for me though.

And today he was doing it to me again despite pushing a stroller, "c'mon this is good preparation for your race next week, keep up the intensity on your taper". Despite being faster with all the training and racing...he dropped me at a nice long flat stretch in Golden Gate Park. Thanks man, you can pace me anytime:)

Now I'm going to prepare some lunch. Some scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast and bananas for my bruised ego and tired legs. I was kidding about the ego but the legs are tired. Catching up on sleep this weekend will be good too.

I hope you all are having a great weekend.

DSCN0102.JPGDSCN0103.JPGDSCN0105.JPG

6 comments:

  1. Many thanks to Stephen !! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, Little Goldman IS big! And hey, it didn't influence Steven's pace at all, baby and family...what's your excuse? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice reality check...must have been the taco's and KFC from last week Rick & J-mom's brownies --LOL

    Have a great week Bro !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed at people that keep a decent pace with a jogging stroller!! I could barely move with mine. Now it has layers of dust in the garage. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaaaaaw, what a cute little baby. Nice pic with the bridge in the background too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That story made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete