Saturday, December 02, 2006

Running Art


BigHorn 100-Miler Poster
I was inspired after my trip to the MOMA today. I realize it's difficult reading vertical copy but so is running this race. I was trying to communicate visually that this race has a lot of elevation. Click here for the high-res copy. The type is actually readable, actually this isn't too bad.


Well I didn't get in to Western States this year. Kind of a bummer because it's a great party and an amazing experience but I already had a back up race planned - Bighorn 100miler in Sheridan, Wyoming. The great thing about this race is that there are multiple distances, besides the 100m they have a 30k, 50k and a 50 miler. My rematch with the WS trail will have to wait at least another year.

I spent the afternoon with my good friend Jason Arth at the MOMA and I suggested that he should come out and run the 50-miler. Our friend Stephen Goldmann might come and join us as well since he didn't get in either. It will be a bit tricky since he and his wife Amy are expecting their first child in May. We'll see, it'd be great to get some folks together for the trip and take advantage of the multiple distances.

The trip to the museum was an inspiring one. Soon as I got home I spent the next two hours crafting this poster. Not a lot of thinking, made it up as I went along. A great exercise. Before I left the apartment I already knew that I hadn't got in to WS (thanks Olga), so I spent part of the day already thinking about Bighorn.

Here's some info on the race taken from the event website.

* * * * * * * * * * * *
BIGHORN TRAIL 100 MILE ENDURANCE RUN 2007 RUNNER INFORMATION
The 5th annual Bighorn Trail 100 Mile Run is an arduous trail run that will take place in the Little Bighorn – Tongue River areas of the Bighorn National Forest. Starting time for the event will be 11 AM, Friday June 15, 2007, with a 34 hour (average pace of 2.94 mph) time limit to finish the event. Runners must be prepared for potential extreme temperature variation and weather conditions during the event with possible temperatures exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit in the day in the canyons and being well below freezing at night in the mountains. The course is wild and scenic traversing territory inhabited by elk, deer, moose, bears, cougars, mountain lions, and rattlesnakes with the potential for wildlife encounters with runners. Crew access points on parts of the course are limited and the runner should be prepared to participate with a fanny pack and other necessary equipment to ensure their ability to safely traverse difficult remote mountainous trails in potentially unpredictable weather conditions. The course is an out-and-back consisting of 76 miles of single track trail, 16 miles of rugged double track jeep trail, and 8 miles of gravel road with approximately 17,500 feet of climb and 18,000 feet of descent.

And something that made me feel secure...
We are fortunate to have Sheridan Search and Rescue participate in our race. They provide difficult to establish communication links on the course which are necessary for the safety of our participants. Sheridan Search and Rescue were of vital assistance in a difficult rescue of a runner from a very remote location in the Little Bighorn Canyon in the middle of the night during the 2002 Bighorn Trail 100. The participant, who was in need of emergency medical attention because of hypothermia and seizures secondary to hyponatremia, fortunately made a full recovery after a several day hospital stay.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

6 comments:

  1. Hey Rick, Ya sorry to here you missed out on WS but Bighorn looks fun and U will have many years ahead of U enjoying that crazy WS Race!

    ...I just ordered that 2 DVD Set "A Race for the Soul" W.S...DID U SEE that Yet?...

    I am a visual person so pretty EXCITED about seeing the Highs,lows and sorrow,joy and all the other stuff I been reading about from amazing race...all this will help me knock out my little 26.2 miler when I memory recall the WS DVD--LOL

    Take care,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick not sure if you seen this POST, but a Detailes ReCap of a person who ran Bighorn last year...

    http://www.crockettclan.org/running/bighorn.html


    He Writes: As for it's beauty, I believe it is probably the most scenic 100-miler in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liked your logo, man! It's so cool Jas and Steve may come too, lets work on talking them into it, it'll be fun! And common, you can't be scared, it's less elevation change than WS...but it has mostly open terrain and the sun will be beating down. Not to mention 11 am start - twice the sun. Then again, the second half is all downhill - if your quads and ITB hold on:) Iy'll be interesting to say the least. I am psyched! I know of at least 10 people planning on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an ultra party waiting to happen. I'm getting excited. Jas is excited about being above treeline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool ticket! Very nice.

    I've been looking for a June race...hmmm...

    Oh yes, the part about the search and rescue is comforting...yep... ; ) : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rickkkkkkkkkkkk Hey I need your Help

    I just made a POST on FOOOD, what you Runners like to EAT. What gives you the FUEL your body needs!

    If you can stop by when you get a chance and share a little bit on what ENERGIZES you that would be great...or anyone READING this--LOL

    Lot's to learn here but WILL learn it and DO IT,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete