Saturday, December 16, 2006

I'm Back...

Today was a bizarre and miserable day. It started at 3AM when I got a message that something bad happened to one of my favorite people. That was the most nerve wracking thing. I can't divulge details but before your your imagination goes crazy, it wasn't bad, bad but it was bad and could have been much worse. I was going nuts. I had all these emotions and there was nothing I could do to help the person.

The first thing I did was pray and somewhere in there I got the message to run. Instead of silently going crazy under the sheets I decided to take it outside. I hadn't done jack for the last 20 days but it didn't matter. I threw some layers on, stuck some energy gels in my pockets and carried a single 20 oz. bottle of water. I was out the door running by 4:30AM. Being able to do something, anything was a relief.

The original plan was to keep it short but once I got started I just ran, ran and ran some more...it was amazingly cathartic. My legs felt great from the extended rest but my heart was going crazy. My heart rate monitor was registering numbers I had never ever seen, in racing or training. I kept going until my legs started to hurt which was at mile 11 and being only 2 miles from 13, I pushed on. It started to catch up to me then, the best part was that 13 miles was only the turnaround point, I still had to get home from there. It started to get light on the return trip which was nice on the trail sections because I didn't bring a light. Running the trails in the dark the first time was tricky enough. I didn't say I was smart. But again I didn't care.

If the first half was run on emotions, the second was run on guts and plain ol stubbornnes. My legs were screaming bloody murder! I had to throw in walk breaks. The last 1.5 mile to my apartment was a walk. I showered, drank a glass of water and promptly slipped back under the sheets around 9:30AM. I only slept for a mere hour but woke up feeling fine. There was a moment when I thought I had dreamt the whole thing...that was until I moved my legs.

So I'm back on. The 07 season starts today. Can't very well take back what I did right. I didn't break anything but I'm sure I'll pay for this run somehow. Probably going to be sluggish in my runs until my body recovers. Put me down for 26 miles/4.5 hours.

I hope my friend's gonna be okay.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I hope your friend will be okay. That was quite an unscheduled run there! Yes, I think you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your friend will be ok too. Running often is a way to think and to sooth nerves. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Your friend is lucky to have you...you're a keeper. I get the chill when I think how careless you were running in the dark and aren't there mt.lions out there?Don't tempt fate.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it turns out okay for your friend. Sometimes you just need to run....

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Rick, your friend has a good friend indeed with you and I hope leans on your strength more over the next few weeks to get through it and be ok adn then better then ok.

    and YES I guess you are back, GEESH... way to go and Enjoy that limp around tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank Everyone. Much appreciated.

    Awwww Ma, I'm alright, no Mountain Lions on the San Francisco side. They don't let you cross the Golden Gate Bridge when it's dark, helps discourage suicides. The only predators we have on the SF side are the two legged kind and they are for the most part not interested in male runners at that time in the morning.

    Steve, thanks for the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:27 PM

    Hey! Yeah, just here to wish you and your friend a positive comeback. Your package came in on Dad's bday =] whoop whoop. Anyway, talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, the blurb under my headline was on my site (sidebar) for a long time...and nobodu noticed before! I stole it from somewhere and don't even know what book:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Olga. I never noticed it before because I had just recently read the book. Re-reading it cause I really liked it. It's from a christian book called "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge. It's a book for christian men, teaching them how to become "men".

    Book Description from Amazon:
    God designed men to be dangerous, says John Eldredge. Simply look at the dreams and desires written in the heart of every boy: To be a hero, to be a warrior, to live a life of adventure and risk. Sadly, most men abandon those dreams and desires-aided by a Christianity that feels like nothing more than pressure to be a "nice guy." It is no wonder that many men avoid church, and those who go are often passive and bored to death. In this provocative book, Eldredge gives women a look inside the true heart of a man and gives men permission to be what God designed them to be-dangerous, passionate, alive, and free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great run Rick. We runners aren't always very smart.

    I will keep your friend in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:39 AM

    lol, i love how most of the people who commented on here have running pictures of themselves from all different angles too and then...there's you with my dog!

    ReplyDelete