Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Big Kahuna

Well it ain't me. So what does a weary, slightly over trained ultra-marathoner do 3 weeks before his big race. Well if he was me, he would sign up for another race! Nah this isn't some spur of the moment decision. I've been planning this, just made it official today. Entered the Big Kahuna Half-Ironman Triathlon. Don't let the name fool you, it's actually in Santa Cruz. I love Hawaii but Santa Cruz will do. I've done 3 triathlons in Santa Cruz, this particular race I did last year. Loved it. Laid back atmosphere and fun. Competitive without the hype of the real popular races. Plus there's real Hawaiian music at the finish on the Boardwalk - can't beat that. I have to do at least one tri event a year, this one is it.

The week after WS, I head back to the Philippines for three weeks. I get back just in time to cheer friends for the Vineman 70.3 Half Ironman on July 30th, then it's back to full time training for this race. Big Kahuna is the second week of September. I'll think about the rest of my season while I'm on vacation. I do plan on doing some light training while I'm out though. I doubt I'll go after another 100 mile ultra once WS is done. I could do it physically but I'm just not motivated. Probably enter just the shorter races; 50k's and 50-milers. I have more fun racing those shorter ultra distance races anyway. I'm also getting the itch to do another full Ironman race, probably next year. We'll see, it's tough bouncing back and forth between these two activities, so much time, so much training - it's keeping me single! So many good races, only so much time.

1 comment:

  1. That's what I do - register for a new race while tapering. And since it's done for this year, I am making plans and searching for next year, as well as finalizing this year's lodging and other logistics:) Totally normal. Thanks to the nervouseness of taper, I get to pick great races for the future!

    ReplyDelete