Friday, June 27, 2008

No Other Way but Forward

Well the last couple days have been...what's the word? Sad? Somber? Those aren't quite it. It didn't happen to me personally but I had some involvement in the event. The Western States 100, the big deal long distance foot race, the Ironman Hawaii of the 100-milers, the Boston of Trail Ultra has been cancelled due to the fires that has affected the area. The first time in the race's 35 year history the event has been cancelled. California is on fire, fires sparked by dry lightning with more anticipated during the weekend. This map shows a big picture of what's going, a lot of fires spread out all over the northern part of the state. Up in Tahoe there's fire, smoke, and emergency vehicles that needs the roads clear for all the work that they need to do. The air is bad to breathe and no one can guarantee the safety of the runners.

It's bad all around. Participants are stunned and disappointed. Family and friends are sad and there's nothing anyone can do. This too shall pass but at the moment just silence and disappointment. However ultra runners are like a lot of tough people you know, they'll come around in a few days. Their mental training will kick in and they'll start putting one foot in front of the other again, so to speak, if they haven't already done so. The same mental fortitude that allows them to continue through grueling long distance races will serve them well here. I feel especially bad for my friend Carrie who I was going to pace from miles 80 to the finish. Eight members of her family came down from Indiana to see her race. Despite being in the sport for about 10 years this is her first attempt at the distance. Airline tickets were bought, home in Tahoe rented, caps and signs were made....I can't imagine the disappointment. She too will overcome and race another day. I'll call her after a few more days have passed. One thing I am thankful about is that all are safe and that race management has put the safety of it's runners first.

All runners from this year will have automatic entry for next year. This pretty much kills my chances for running the race next year but it's ok. I'll just go somewhere else like I did this year. San Diego 100 is also in June, there' Old Dominion 100 in Virginia also in June, there's Massanutten 100 in May, also in Virginia I believe...I've got options.

Prayers and wishes of safety to all fighting the fire. Hope the damage to the area is not too extensive. No one wants to see homes burned down or large areas of trail wiped out even though fires are a natural part of the life cycle of a forest.

Nature has called the shots for three of June's 100-milers. My race in KM had the heat, thunderstorms and threat of tornado's. Olga's race last week at Bighorn had it's course changed due to heavy snow still covering parts of the course and now Western States with the fires sparked by dry lightning. Crazy stuff.

Next up. A return to more positive running talk with my report from the Pacifica 50k race last weekend in which I was a volunteer. I even got my mug taken with winner Will Gotthardt. Also a picture of me lusting after the new Vasque shoes. Okay maybe lust is too strong of a word, desire to the point of hugging and kissing shoe...there.

12 comments:

  1. Great post! Prayers to all involved with the fires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Rick. What a bummer for Carrie. I got off relatively easy, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really rough! I can't imagine putting in that time and dedication only to have the event canceled. Obviously, it was the right decision, but it still has to be hard to take.

    Yes indeed, thoughts and prayers with all of those involved in the fires, those living there, and those fighting them. My brother is a firefighter who got to fight the Ham Lake fire in northern MN last summer, and those men an women are something else. Best wishes to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwhhhh man that is such a big bumma. I can only imagine the disappointment :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm bummed for all the runners and pacers who were supposed to run this weekend. But now I'm more bummed because my hubby gave me the heads up today that he IS going to be shipped out to fight the fires, starting Monday. I hate it when that happens. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. gb, I'll say a prayer for your hubby. Crazy situation with all the fires. Without people like your husband it would really be out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rick, next time you see Will please tell him I said CONGRATS! Awesome.

    I will see you very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely feel for the people who put so much money, time and effort into preparing for the race, but safety is paramount. I was looking forward to following the race online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been out of the loop on vacation all week and was pretty shocked to see that WSER had been canceled. I feel bad for all those who had already traveled and put other things on hold. But definitely sounds like it was the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *COUGH~JAVALINA100~COUGH*

    Great post Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ya big bummer but was the right call... dang mother nature, don't she know we have races to run & feet to blister :-) & toenails to lose!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh that's awful. Better to be safe than sorry though. Hope the situation gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete