Monday, July 30, 2007

Keeping Things Positive


DSCN2517.JPGDSCN2543.jpg
Fogshots. Looking back towards San Francisco from Tiburon, it's right behind all that white stuff. On my run Sunday, heading towards Coastal Trail, the Golden Gate Bridge and home!


New commenter Addy said: ah...I miss running in SF. I used to live in Berkeley and made the trip over almost every weekend so that I could run across the golden gate. Such a beautiful place to run! (even in heavy fog :) Well then lady these shots are for you. We had a ton of fog this past weekend. It was quite heavy on Sunday in fact. Sunny in Marin though, sunglasses and t-shirts.

Thank God It's Monday! Finally the madness can stop, haha. I love all that running, biking, swimming and moving around but it can all be too much sometimes - whew! Preaching to the choir I know.

Sunday was a hard day. After a terrific time biking in Marin on Saturday with friends, Sunday I was just drained and tired. It was my last big run heading into my taper for the Headlands Hundred and I was dreading it. The fatigue is not all training related, things have been busier than normal on all fronts. Plus the sore left hamstring wasn't helping things. Doesn't bother me as much on the bike but bums me out on the run.

I started that run tired with leaden legs. However somewhere along mile 3, on my way to the bridge, my mood lightened considerably. Away from all the buildings and into open space with other like minded people got me in a much more positive frame of mind. I started having a good time and took things less seriously. It was like a fire and I did my best to fan the flames and keep it going for the rest of my outing. Physically speaking it was a weak workout, a fizzle and a whisper to send me into my taper. I'd give it a c / c-. As a spiritual and mental exercise however it was a keeper. I managed to get some work done and had a good time as well. 2.5 hours into it I wasn't moving any faster but I was in a very good and contented mood. I even felt some fight in me and opted for the harder way home. I cursed on the way up, even shook my right fist in mock defiance at the trail but all while grinning like an idiot. A very good time and the positive vibes I carried for the rest of day.


DSCN2551.JPG
The trail mocks me, a little tough love. "Look at you with all your fancy gear, the almost new trail shoes, the pack stuffed with food and liquids. Oh my is that a genuine Quad Dipsea race shirt...I'm sooo impressed...ok not really. You go up and over like all the rest, running if you can hack it. Come get yours."



Hamstring is not so bad actually. A neoprene sleeve that I sometimes use for my knee when my IT gets tight and sore I was able to reconfigure as a compression wrap for my thigh. I just hiked that sucker up past my knee and wala, compression sleeve. The glute muscle above the offended hammy was also a bit sore but unfortunately I couldn't neoprene my butt so I just kept an eye on it. Well I've got two more weeks and I think it's going to be okay. Probably just going to take it easy at track tomorrow. Now where's that foam roller?

8 comments:

  1. Love the positive attitude! That pic looks like it was taken after a face plant. : ) Enjoy your taper with lots of foam rolling!

    P.S. I've decided to pass on Firetrails this year...maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww too bad we won't we wont see you at Firetrails. Are you still planning on a 50M this year since you didn't run PCT? What with all the training and all.

    No comment on the face plant:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could travel and run a few hundreds a year. I think I am finally back in shape, but am going to pass on CCC since I am pacing Olga and heading up the Mile 54 aid station at Hyak. I am trying to be patient with my training and racing. Not quite back up to par. Enjoy some rest before Headlands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Need to figure out a way how to compress a butt, hmmm...
    Don't forget to finish Headlands 100 fast as I plan to take a shower at your place and have a nice coffee with you and Jas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trail mocks me, a little tough love. "Look at you with all your fancy gear, the almost new trail shoes, the pack stuffed with food and liquids. Oh my is that a genuine Quad Dipsea race shirt...I'm sooo impressed...ok not really. You go up and over like all the rest, running if you can hack it. Come get yours."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    LOLOLOL ahhhh love the trail pic & blurb...

    Taper down and Visualize Up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:47 PM

    diggin that rock picture, lol
    ahaha get it? BWAHAHAHAHA ahem!
    anyway, im on my way to my friends house for some free dinner food!!! and a movie night! yeahh!
    too bad you're not here to mooch off of any home made food =P
    OCTOBER!! FO SHO!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the best pictures, Rick. I love the shot of the fog! Beautiful coutnry you have out there.

    Good luck heading into your taper. I am sure you are going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack..I Don't know what happened! I swear I posted a response to this a bit ago....Now I feel very unfashionably late to the blog ;). Those pictures are wonderful and bring back such fond (and somewhat chilly!) memories. I really do miss running there and will have to make the trip up at some point for old time's sake :) Awesome job on powering through that tough workout.

    ReplyDelete