Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hurts so Good!

This past week I've been whining about "dead legs" because the week before I got ambitious and tackled 32 or so miles for my long run. I survived but I was left with "pooped" legs and that was no fun. Working with weights was a drag and running was an even bigger drag. Spinning was disappointing because my legs would get sore and tired before my heart rate could reach it's appointed targets. Luckily I was smart enough to back off right away, cut down my mileage. I also did some reading. I have Tim Noakes M.D.'s the Lore of Running, a christmas present from the family. Oh you know..., reviewing proper training, reading all about over training and bad training mistakes, stuff like that...light reading:)

So anyway the boys are back, in fact they were already feeling better by Sunday. Tonight I did a light jog to the YMCA, it's 2.5 miles from my apartment. Did a tempo workout on the treadmill for half an hour and did some weight training. Felt so good. In fact on the weights I was able to lift higher loads, ain't that grand. Then I did a slow jog back to the apartment. Good workout. Thursday I'm looking forward to hitting my numbers again in Spin class. Overall I think I'm going to start incorporating treadmill workouts again. Treadmill workouts are so boring to me now but the surface is softer, I can track my speed and resistance accurately, the mirror in front let's me check my form and the treadmills in the YMCA have built in heart rate monitors. The treadmill picked up the signals from my chest strap, I had a reading of my heart rate on both the machine and my watch - convenient!

1 comment: