Friday, March 05, 2010

No Crew No Pacer

So it's confirmed, no crew no pacer for this years 100s. I just got back from "wine night" with my best friend Jessica and she's busy getting her shiz together for her mountain bike races, which includes a multi-day ride adventure. She was my crew chief for both San Diego 100 and Headlands Hundred last year. All cool. I, like many people, is happy to see her rebound from double knee surgeries to take control once again.

When I started running ultras I didn't have many friends who were into the long distance so I ran my first two hundreds crew and pacer-less. To be frank I like it that way. Oh yeah, pacers and crew are an invaluable help, I love them to death and they result in faster times but I'm not dependent on them. Besides you are never there solo, there are always aid stations who will take drop bags and volunteers who cheer you on like a superstar - the nerve:) Back to basics this year and I've actually been practicing the solo part. No mystery here, go on several solo long runs, listen to your own BS and know when to push through. Know how you work and what buttons you respond to.

11 comments:

  1. Word. I am doing the exact same thing for all of my races this year. Going solo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to change things up now and then. You're doing it old school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog...thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Assasin, word on the street is that you are killing it out in SoCal at the 50k races. It ain't spring yet but you are already groovin. See you at Miwok 100k.

    Sarah, yeah change is good and sometimes it's good to self-motivate.

    Trail Runner, you are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I don't run nearly those distances, but I like the back to basics, keep it simple approach. Good luck to you with your training and races, Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would pace ya, old friend, if I could keep up. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny working an AS this weekend think solo is the way to go!

    I am sure you'll be kicking butt and taking numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. at the latest BDM, i did not allow PACERS and the finishers registered faster times as compared to last year's. but having a support CREW is a must due to the heat & humidity. good luck on your solo ultra races! thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll see you at SD, crew-less and pacer-less as well...same for MMT, TRT, CC, P2P...yeah, I think I like it this way too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crewless Fewless, that's what they call me :-)

    Sorry I can't be there this time around, Rick! I had a great time last year, and wish I could have made it out for two in a row. Who knows, maybe I was your bad-luck charm last year and caused you to miss your time by 25 seconds :-)

    Have a great race! You sound like you're well on your way to a PR-setting year once again! You deserve it! You've worked hard and will see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the only way to do it, though my sole impromptu pacer did save my ass that race.

    ReplyDelete