Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Happy and Humbled

I haven't even started to write the race report. It was... it was such an emotionally filled, event filled weekend that I've needed the time to just live with it and process it all. It was great, wonderful in fact but dense and packed. One moment I want to talk about every single thing and then nothing. I may need the whole week to let it all simmer down.

That race rocked me. I went in there without a doubt in my mind the 10:47 PR was going to fall. It was set in 2006 before I had dropped my 50k, 50-mile and 100-mile times significantly. In 2007 and 08 I took a break from the race so I could participate in the Wildlflower Triathlons which is always in the same weekend. In 2009 I came back right in time to participate in the wet, windy and wild version and missed the PR by 10 minutes. I came back this year with an attitude and with solid hill training. I even used splits from a runner in 2005 (the last time they took detailed splits) who had a 10:06 finish. I can see it in the morning pre-race pictures, smugness bordering on irreverence, and on the post race pictures, pained smiles with a trace of shock.

Oh that PR did fall but by a mere 9 minutes and it took all of me to make it happen. It took a lot of mental power to hold it together. As my buddy Jonathan Gunderson said after the race "When I saw you right before you hit the turn-around, you didn't look so good, not totally in control". He was right, the funny thing is that I thought the same about him but I'm sure I looked worse. It was a hard, hard day but, and I meant this sincerely, a great time.

It was my 5th Miwok race but this one came swinging at me and it almost laid me out. Race report once I fully recover mentally.

IMG_0277
This helped with the recovery. Part of the schwag is a 22 ounce bottle of Miwok 100k Ale, it's really the Lagunitas IPA - locally brewed and one of the best.

IMG_0281
Sunday recovery brunch courtesy of Devon, Sarah and Nathan also hit the spot.

IMG_0289
So did the Gelato on North Beach after brunch. Well okay I didn't actually eat a bite but I was good just watching every one else eat.

10 comments:

  1. WOW sounds like you left it all out there, can't wait for the report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Rick! Man, you're just getting faster and faster. Hope to read your recap sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear all about it brother Rick. Sounds like a lot of people suffered out there this year.

    Congrats on the small PR. You'll go big in the future no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. I love how you completely go balls-out with these races. Well done on the PR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME....guy you are one tough customer, a good runner...and a better person...anxious to here the nitty gritty details...crawling through the abyss to the other side...all for a 9 minute off PR...great job....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:04 PM

    Rick, you are fantastic. I'm so happy I know you. Congrats on your PR. You're a machine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the whole story :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! You hung in there and conquered...looking forward to all the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That spread at brunch looks pretty killer to me!!!
    You are such a strong runner Rick. I hope you're not too hard on yourself about your time. You are truly incredible! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:09 PM

    It was great to see you during the race and chat some while running. Also great to finish so close. Should have know it, we could have run the whole thing together. Maybe next time...

    ReplyDelete