Friday, March 26, 2010

Hello North Carolina

This whole running thing has taken me to places I've never thought of visiting before. North Carolina is one of them and here I am, crewing and pacing for the Umstead 100-mile. Tony has big goals for this one. I think he has a shot but everything has to go right, no mistakes and he has to run his best race ever. Can he do it? Well I am here to help him.

He's already asleep and it ain't even 10pm yet. I can't sleep the night before big races and I don't know how people like Tony do it. As for me, I just finished my second beer and it took a whole lot of self control not to go back downstairs for another. I'll be up all day tomorrow too but I'm only running a fraction of the distance with opportunities for catnaps before I pace.

The weather here is a lot like San Francisco's, cold and drizzly. Possible thunderstorms are forecasted for Sunday however. If all goes according to plan we shouldn't spend a lot of time running on Sunday morning. I'll do my best to try and make that happen.

IMG_0098
Tony and I, running together once again. This will be the fourth race I will be crewing and pacing for him. The last one, Javelina Jundred last year, was our best so far. Can we top it?

8 comments:

  1. Go Tony, and go Tony's crew! There are no obstacles unless the mind perceives them as such!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're living the life, Rick! Good luck to your runner and have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Rick. What a friend you are.

    Dig the "Pacer" shirt btw (from JJ100).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We neat moved to NC instead of CA when wemoved to the US 10 Years ago, it looked a pretty state then although I never got as up close and personal as you will!

    Good luck to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Good luck to Tony, and to you as well, Rick.

    Bring your runner home in good time! There will be more beer after you guys are done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony is in good hands...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAVE FUN!! Don't beat Tony up too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:18 AM

    Hey Rick,

    Great meeting and hanging with you for a couple of days. Can't wait to do it again sometime. I don't think Joey can wait, either. (:

    ReplyDelete