Saturday, January 02, 2010

Diving in to 2010

My goals for 2010 is quite simple. Faster, Stronger and Lighter. Special emphasis on "lighter" since I want to run in a weight lighter than what I have been the last two years.

Kicked off January 1st with a swim in the bay. Our triathlon club held it's third annual New Year's Day swim and it seemed like a great way to kick-off the year. The water I was told, was around 52 degrees. It felt like swimming in an ice bath. I had ice baths warmer than this. It was freakin cold and I hadn't swam since my last triathlon back in May 2008. Unacclimated to the cold water it took me a very long time to get going. I must have spent 10 minutes just standing chest deep in the water waiting for my feet to stop hurting, then another 5 for my hands to stop stinging. My face never really warmed up however, I could only keep them in the water for a few minutes before I had to pop my head up. So really I spent most of the swim on my back floating around or dog paddling and breast stroking while everyone else swam the buoy line envious of their toughness. I loved it though once I warmed up enough, even when I was just floating around watching people swim by, enjoying the calm water. I hate the pool but I like open water swims in Aquatic Park. The pool feels like a treadmill to me. This was followed by a meal at a pub and then a short 4-mile run in the afternoon. The run felt great too. Legs felt super despite the huffing and puffing. A good first day.

My camera is somewhere in Southern California. I don't know where it is and neither does anyone down there. Must have stuck it in some hole or cabinet. Oh well, hopefully it will turn up sooner rather than later. In the meantime the phone does a decent job at least when there's a lot of light and with some help with cropping and contrast adjustments in photoshop.

I'm back and there's lots of work to do!

Photo0157
Lisa and Lara.

Photo0159
Thank God for wetsuits!

Photo0160
John Branderhorst also going no wetsuit. We had three guys who went without, crazy kooks. They could swim with the South End Rowing Club and the Dolphin Swim & Boat Club, those guys swim without wetsuits all year round.

8 comments:

  1. swimming...well may hat's off to you. On the weight thing...I have been watching what I put down the old hatch the last couple of months....took off 5 lbs and an 1" on my waist...and have been working the core like an animal. If you lose much weight...you will kill it this year. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have similar goals! Hope you have a very, very successful 2010, and hope to see you real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a brisk way to start off the new year! Funny that you posted about this since I just went today with Marc who was trying on wetsuits. He's planning on his first open water tri this summer....swim is in 62 degree mountain lake. I can't imagine swimming in the Bay without a wet suit!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Share the same goal with you this new year, to be lighter to improve my times. Have a great running year Rick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might sound strange, but I ran at -16 F this morning (air temp, not wind chill), and it wasn't too bad - however, the thought of swimming in 52 degree water without a wetsuit sounds extremely cold to me! :)

    All the best to you in 2010, Rick. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny - I didn't realize you had any weight to lose! Have a great 2010, and I hope to share some trails with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like we're on the same page! And that looks like a good start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy new year and decade. I hope you're already working on your goals!

    ReplyDelete