Friday, September 11, 2009

From the Unpublished Archive

One of my computers has a folder called "stuff" and inside is all these miscellaneous notes, files, pictures, screenshots and unpublished blog drafts. Periodically I go in there and clean it out a bit. It's like a digital attic or storage closet. I usually find interesting stuff in there that I've forgotten about. This time around I found a couple. One was a folder of images of Madison, Wisconsin, taken when I was in the state for the Kettle Moraine 100 last year. I've already posted that baby to my other blog. Yeah there is another one but it's more for family and relatives, the ones who told me "Rick I've no idea what you talk about half the time. What is RPE, Splits, T1, T2, HRM and so forth? Why is it always about running?! Wouldn't it be better if you work more instead". The other find was this little note here, must have missed it in the previous times I've gone in and deleted stuff - it's from 2006. I wrote it at the beginning of the season. I remember, I was confirmed for my first Western States and especially psyched for the coming year.

January 1/8/06
• Maybe this is the year I finally break the 24 hour mark in a 100 mile race or go 3:30 on the marathon.

• Maybe I follow through with my plans to do track workouts and experience a new breakthrough, I'm not too old for track right? I've never done it.

• Maybe this is the year I don't get lost in any of my races.

• Maybe this is the year I run more than one 100 mile race.

a little maybe goes a long way....


It sure does with work. Well thank God I followed up on those plans! That's why on my blog header it says "there is no finish if you don't start". That actually has nothing to do with races but about training and working hard. About implementing and following through plans. I've always been good at ideas but a little less stellar about implementation and following through. I always catch myself doing what I'm not supposed to be doing and not doing what I'm supposed to be doing. I blurted that tagline when I was hee-hawing around the apartment one day, stalling on a long run workout.

Never did run that marathon. My last marathon was in 04 and it was part of an Ironman race a month after my first hundred - 3:59. I cut it close huh. The last 6-miles I was so hungry I stuffed my mouth with cookies pretzels at each aid station. In an Ironman there is an aid station every mile so you can imagine. I think on mile 24 I running while eating a small bag of pretzels. As for breaking 24 hours in a 100-mile race. It didn't happen until last year. Western States whopped my ass, soundly. I finished but I was a mess. In 07 Bighorn 100 picked up where Western left off and my longest 100 mile yet - 30:22. To be frank, even had there not been a snowstorm the week before the race that made the course sloppy with mud, snow and standing water, I wouldn't have been strong enough to break 24 hours at that time. Now and in a course in excellent condition? Maybe. Later that summer I would come back revived for my first Headlands Hundred but because of an IT Band issue I finished 24:37. It wasn't until last year's Kettle Moraine 100 did I finally break 24 hours. Been working hard to make it happen though since 06.

Started Track, Spin too. Dropped Spin this year since I'm taking a hiatus from triathlon but still in Track. I'm on my fourth year and wishing I had made the plunge sooner. I still get lost in races but a lot less these days. Didn't run another hundred after Western, licked my wounds for the rest of the summer. The following year however I did two 100-mile races in the summer and I've been doing that since.

It was good to see this note, 06 was a pivotal year. I would add to these goals and follow through on them. That's the reason why I've been breaking PR's the last 2 years. Breaking the top 10 on the smaller races was more than I hoped though. All this makes me think; what new plans can I implement now that will help me to go faster? Is it even possible? Has my speed already started to plateau? We shall see.

DSCN0467
Ohlone 06, my one and only Ohlone 50k race, I've been a volunteer since. For those of you who ran it this year and the hot year last year I just want to say, it was cold my year. No kidding, it even rained! Myself, new friend at the time, Scott Dunlap, and good friend Jason Arth.

DSCN0654
Top of Squaw Valley, first 5 miles of Western States 06. If I knew at that point how much I would suffer later that evening and into the next day I might have just promptly taken my camera back and walked down the trail. Okay that's not true...well maybe.

11 comments:

  1. What a great post, Rick-totally inspirational! That's one of the beauties of writing and blogging-that we can see where our thoughts were at one point and how far we have journeyed (and what trail we have followed) since then.
    I, too, am sort of an idea person, but very poor with follow through, so I totally get that! It's one of those things about myself I'm constantly working to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring stuff, my wife and I write down the next years goals etc at the end of each year and we have found that if we write them down we actually tend to get them done...funny that!

    But I agree with Gretchen sometimes our paths just spin us off in another direction; all part of the big plan I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes you forget the plans you have written but in the end, these plans are realized sooner than you think. nice post and nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's neat to look back at some of your goals and see how far you've come. I'm sure you still have many more to achieve. I've never really written down my goals...although I guess I sort of have in my blog. It's fun to look back and see what I was thinking 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I needed to hear this from someone so expirenced...thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the trip down memory lane! Interesting read and congratulations on all of your accomplishments! It is neat to find something like that to remind yourself how far you have come! Graet job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "That's why on my blog header it says 'there is no finish if you don't start'. That actually has nothing to do with races but about training and working hard."
    ----------------

    I really like what you said there, Rick. A race is one thing, but the time and effort involved in preparing for one is another thing altogether. And that is the reward. Excellent post! How cool to have found those words you wrote back in '06!

    ReplyDelete
  8. U SHOULD MEET 180 ME! I DO THINGS IN 1/2 THE TIME!



    NOW READ THIS MY FILIPINO AMIGO:

    ALERTA!

    La estafa automotriz mas grande en el territorio Mexicano…

    Para MAS informacion pinche:

    http://pedromillan.blogspot.com/

    Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog post. And fun picture...blast from the past. Keep it up...both making lists and pushing your boundaries! jason arth

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always meant to ask if you ran WS in 06. I think I remember seeing you. This was before I knew you of course. For some reason you stood out. Did you come in late into Peachstone and did someone duct tape the side of your foot? That was my first time volunteering and I remember being fascinated by the carnage that started rolling into that AS late into the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm....it was probably me but no duct tape was used, just elastikon type tape and other blister repair stuff. I was suffering from so many blisters it was fugly. If they used duct tape then I don't remember which wouldn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete