Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dipseas

The weekend of Headlands Hundred, that Sunday, we celebrated a birthday by doing a double on the Dipsea trail. What a way to kick-off a birthday celebration! Brian August was turning 40 and his girlfriend Dana and friends came up with the idea of doing the double since he had never run the trail. Brian's no slouch, he's a very fast triathlete but his triathlon training has kept him off the trails. He's actually coached by the guy who won last year's Quad Dipsea.

The Dipsea is my all time favorite trail but it is far enough north of San Francisco that I don't get to run it as often as I want. With Pine to Palm 100 coming up it was time to start logging some miles on the trail and the other Mt. Tam trails. There are bigger climbs on Mt. Tam and while the ground is softer, slippery mud in some places, it's also more challenging with rocks, roots and steps. From the pictures I've seen of the new 100-mile course in Oregon, brought back by friends who have scouted the area, I think Mt. Tam's trails will be better for my training than the dry, exposed, less technical trails of the Marin Headlands.

So this past Saturday I was back out there, hauling my sorry butt across that trail four times for 28+ miles. I'd tell you the time but I don't want to embarrass myself. It felt good though challenging as it was and many people were hiking in the area so there was lots of company. This was followed by an 18-miler in San Francisco on Sunday that was a mixture of road and trail, a good respite from the hills of Mt. Tam. I'll see about doing the same workout this weekend. Body is feeling beat especially after last night's track workout. I'm crossing my fingers that they will be ready for more hills and distance by the weekend or it's going to be a long one. I may have to grease the mental wheels with promises of beer and sugar, hopefully it won't have to come to that.

IMG_0833
The before picture at Mill Valley, before the sweat, dirt, mud and good times.

IMG_0836
Heading up towards Cardiac Hill.

IMG_0842
At Cardiac Hill.

IMG_0846
Tina and Kara slipping past the redwoods.

IMG_0852
Birthday boy ascending the steps on the Stinson side. Heading back to Mill Valley.

IMG_0853
Almost home! Troy heading towards the Muir Woods parking lot.

IMG_0857
Got my "double dip" button!

IMG_0878
Then it was on to the birthday celebration at Brian and Dana's home.

IMG_0880
Birthday boy and birthday cake.

IMG_0884
And there was also good, microbrewed beer. I could use some of that right now.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect way to ring in the new decade...very jealous of you guys getting to run on that trail.

    Continued success on your training for P2P. My chances of getting there is in serious limbo w/ my rebelling knee right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mis mud on the trails, slippery full-blown mud of Oregon...I had a dream about P2P tonight. Like I arrived, and a few folks were surprised because I wasn't supposed to be there, and I said - I am not. I am going to have fun hanging out. My body is broken down, and I need rest. Funny thing is, my alarm didn't go off this morning, and I missed my run. I opened my eyes with a single thought: my body is broken down, and that's why my alarm was silent - to give me some sleep:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet way to ring in the birthday...and I love the button!

    ReplyDelete